Friday, June 13, 2014

Minty Freshness

I have a spearmint plant. I've never grown mint before but bought it on a whim. I'm glad I did because i'm finding great uses for it. One thing to know is mint plants can really overtake a garden so it's best to contain them in pots. Use a good amount of mulch around it to keep in moisture.

As for those uses, mint leaves can be added to lamb or chicken dishes and salads. They can also spruce up iced tean and lemonade. You can even make your own mint chocolate chip ice cream.  Of course, there are other uses too. The leaves can be dried and crushed into a sachet for a pleasant scent. I left a bunch of leaves on the kitchen counter overnight and in the morning the whole room smelled wonderful.  If you have a boatload of leaves they can be kept frozen in airtight bags.

Let us not forget the mojito. I made my first one last night and loved it. Here's the recipe:

1oz lime juice
2tsps sugar
5 spearming leaves
2oz rum
1oz club soda

Add mints, lime & sugar in a glass. Muddle the mints into the mixture with a wooden spoon. Add rum, stir and add club soda. Garnish with mint leaves or a lime wedge. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. nice blog, we too are getting into gardening . good luck will keep in touch

    ReplyDelete